Tuesday 13 October 2009

Stats: The Big One

OK, a quick one before I turn in for the night.  By my reckoning (ably assisted by Excel's ability to count), in all matches across all forms of the game (we've played 5-a-side, 8-a-side, 9-a-side and 11-a-side over the years) for all the many teams under what I traditionally call 'the Effra Academicals umbrella', a total of 991 goals have been recorded as scored.

Some might say it's a somewhat arbitrary figure, as it includes goals from a couple of ad hoc 5-a-side mini-tournos down at Elmers End in 2006, where we split into 3 teams and had a competition, but for my money those games/goals count as the matches were refereed and the results were recorded for my "official" stats document.  Besides, the mere fact that I've managed to figure this out before we pass the milestone is, in my sad existence, tremendous news!

So, does anyone think there should be some prize for the player who scores what I shall refer to as the 1,000th Accies goal?  And if so, what?  And how would you feel if we were on 999 goals and you stepped up to take a penalty?  Yikes.  In the meantime, I'll do my best to double check the total before we get any closer to it!

No comments: