Friday 9 October 2009

Random ramblings for 10 minutes

A few quick thoughts...
1. Nice 10th anniversary win, fellas.
2. Thanks for understanding re: the postponement of certain aspects of the anniversary do (all invited guests will receive email confirmation of the New Plan today). It probably helped that you all heard the news from a man (Mes) standing in his pants.  It kept the heckling to a minimum because we all just wanted it to be over... Elbows wasn't far off the mark (as usual) when he said "the day will be exactly the same, but without the speeches" - the truth is that the evening do, when it happens in January, will be much, much more than just a couple of speeches.  It'll be a truly fitting celebration of 10 years of this mighty club.  But for the time being, Saturday 17 October will do nicely.  We want as many players and spectators as possible for 2-4pm in the stadium, then all back to our favourite pub/nemesis (delete as applicable).  Elbows is considering an Accies "what happened next?" DVD quiz!
3. Enjoyed Joe's impersonation of Surrey Envelopes' "Fat Gazza" last night, and also listening to a few Blue Flag Sunday league "war stories".  I always enjoy the Blue Flag tales but I also enjoy the fact that the ex-Blue Flaggers are now playing football at a level where punch-ups and other acts of stupidity are foreign things!  Does that makes sense?  Well, I know what I mean, anyway.
4. Enjoyed the levels of positivity last night.  Although it helped that we managed to go in at half-time 2-1 up, not 1-0 or even 2-0 down!  We would've rightly been given a verbal kicking after 45 mins if Simon's goals hadn't turned the game around!  We deserved the first-half goals because as I recall, Joe forced a good save, the Coach stabbed a shot agonisingly wide and Simon had at least one other first-half chance, if not two, on top of the brace he scored - but my word, we needed the brace he scored.  It must've hurt 1860 Lambeth to have been so much on top of us, only to end up 4-1 down not far into the 2nd half.  Ouch.  When 1860 made it 4-2, I heard one of their lads say "Come on, we can do this," and remembering Accies comebacks in the past (0-3 down against the Dutch, anyone?) I did shudder at the thought that in football, anything's possible.  Luckily Sam made it 5-2 very soon after that Lambeth call to arms (and congrats Sam for a well deserved and emphatically taken debut goal).
5.  Anyone else in the club an Excel geek?  I've just started work on an Excel stats document to replace my current document which is basically a long-hand list of results and line-ups etc.  I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to Excel, so if you know the tips and tricks, let me know and I'll email you the document, albeit it's very much a work in progress!
6. Son and heir is, not unreasonably, demanding attention.  So I'm off.  Up the Accies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I will have to do all my public speaking in just a pair of pants from now on.