Thursday 18 March 2010

What really matters

Some strange shenanigans over the past seven days.  Firstly, and rightly so, some reflection across the whole squad in the wake of a rare drubbing.  Looking back at the stats, it seems that Dolphin are always on hand to dish out a thrashing when we play below par – last July we were 6-0 down on the Bar Pitch before some controversial player-swapping precipitated an unlikely 6-6 draw.  Before that, 8-0 last May, 9-1 last January and 11-1 in March 2008 – so at least it was nothing new... Anyway, it meant some self-examination of our fitness levels and of our ability to do what we know we need to do for 90 minutes a week.

Then some odd 'anonymous' discussions on the blog.  I have allegedly had a sense of humour bypass – well, that's nothing new either, is it.  Ah well – up to a point I enjoyed the 'healthy debate'.  Free speech is a marvellous thing and this blog is for all Accies and friends of Accies, so I'm pleased to see so many people taking part in proceedings.  I do find it odd that any comment on a blog such as this among teammates would need to be anonymous, but there's nowt so queer as folk I suppose.

Before I publish this post and head for the True Theatre Of Dreams, I'll just take this opportunity to mention (again?) something that Elbows once said.  When I'm down there tonight, warming up on that impressive surface, I will once again thank my lucky stars that I'm able to play footy on such a great pitch – easily the best grass pitch that any team at our level is able to play on.  Not only that, I get to play footy alongside a bunch of truly terrific blokes.  Yes, we've lost three in a row and we played poorly a couple of times.  And yes, I am going to do everything I possibly can to contribute to a good performance tonight – and I should be substituted if I let the side down!  But what really matters, when push comes to shove, is that we make sure we enjoy ourselves.  It just so happens that I passionately believe that the best way to enjoy ourselves is through hard graft and teamwork, plus the occasional moment of genius skill.  Surely even anonymous visitors to this blog won't disagree with that...?

Up the Accies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disagree?
Definitly not.
Humbled perhaps..