Wednesday 28 January 2009

Great pass and the camera always lies

I knew as soon as the ball was sent along the floor by the trusty boot of Xavier into the corridor between the full back and centre back that I was going to score.  At last a ball on the deck.  Hopeful lobs forward are hard enough work when you are playing up front on your own but are even worse on the plastic with the high bounce and extra zip.

I had to take a decent touch to move the ball forwards and then steady myself to shoot across the 'keeper.  He hardly moved so I knew if I hit it hard and low it would go in.  And it did, albeit between his legs.  It was a good feeling especially as it was with my left foot.

I really like scoring goals and want to score bucketloads.  However, scoring is always tempered by losing.  It may be a cliche but it doesn't make up for not winning.

Scoring more will only come though if there are more of those balls as played by the bearded one.  The runs are being made.  But if you get fed on scraps you will go hungry.

The game was also interesting for the strange refereeing decisions.  He allowed their centre back to go unpunished for two cowardly fouls on me (a forearm smash when I wasn't looking and a grab around the neck when he had been done for pace) that were at least both yellow cards, one which could have been a red, but booked Dave 'Xavier' Rudd and Coach09 for a lot less.  He also allowed the 'keeper to go unpunished when he deliberately handballed outside the area and denied a clear goalscoring chance, despite awarding a free kick for handball.

The match video (as Elbows' slightly provocative comment indicated) showed my unintentional shove on the fouling coward at the back but not his fouls, the 'keepers handball or my goal.  As ever the camera always lies.  Ce la vie as Bobby is probably saying.

1 comment:

StuartD said...

Your goal is the only enjoyable memory I have of that match... sadly it is dwarfed by my ongoing horror at the recollection of my failure to clear the ball, leading directly to one of the oppo's goals. Pathetic. Looking forward to the chance to make amends!