Friday 16 January 2009

Countdown to the 10th anniversary event #2: 9 months to go

Here's the second post in the series building up to the big event on Saturday 17 October 2009.  As for the anniversary itself, the committee meets next Monday to start the planning proper, so watch this space to find out what they come up with... So now I'll try to sum up Year Two in the life of Effra Academicals.

Part 2: 2000-2001

Despite the 10-1 drubbing in our first ever 11-a-side match in August 2000, we played nine more 11-a-sides over the next 12 months.  They included our first away game, a Sunday trip to Oxford to play Hellenic FC.  I recall a muddy-as-anything pitch and Gza without studs and, therefore, without goals.  It was also Ant's debut in goal - if my memory serves me, I met him the day before and almost immediately tapped him up to play in goal as we had no recognised 11-a-side keeper.  We lost 0-6 and I felt sorry for Ant!  But thus began a long Accies career, with Ant also continuing in goal for Blue Flag.  Another cracking game saw my sister's then boyfriend (now husband) Rob bring his then team Coltishall up from Norfolk to play on the Bar Pitch.  We were well beaten (5-1, with Gza scoring the consolation) but I remember a great atmosphere in the bar afterwards and I think it took the Norfolk boys hours and hours to get home as they stopped off at multiple pubs to celebrate their victory!

2001 also saw Accies debuts for several other legendary players: Simon Mesner (brought along by his mate Tom Wrigley), Dave Rudd (we stole him from another 5-a-side team), Lee Hodgkin (school friend of Andy Dade), John McDonnell (husband of colleague of my wife) and Warren Crawford (we stole him too).  And with most of them in the line-up we bagged our first 11-a-side win, 4-3 over the combined 'might' of two 5-a-side oppo teams, Exoterix FC & 1860 Lambeth.  Afraid to say I can't remember anything about that game - I played in goal, so maybe aversion therapy might bring back some memories?  Also in August 2001, Joe Sene did a Judas and starred for Big Pictures, who we promptly beat 3-1.  That'll teach you, Sene.

On the 5-a-side front, we were, thankfully, getting better and better.  Luke, Tom W, the Gaffer, Gza and Joe lined up for our biggest ever Elms League win, a 4-0 tonking of 1860 Lambeth.  That same night I scored my first ever Accies goal, which I can still remember like it was yesterday.  It was struck from just inside the oppo's half and I celebrated Beckham-style with arms outstretched in front of the Barmy Army.  God, I enjoyed that.

Looking back at the 5-a-side results from Year 2, we were so much better - a six-game unbeaten run in March stands out, during which Macca scored a hugely enjoyable goal vs the hated Surrey Envelopes.  We celebrated that goal like he'd just completed a double hat-trick in a World Cup final.  Because there were 3 games a week, there are so many memories from that era - I recall how proud myself and Luke were when we kept two clean sheets each in a row, so the Accies didn't let a goal in for 4 whole matches.

The major event in Year 2, however, was the suspension of Effra's 5-a-side activities, replaced by 2 teams: Dinamo Bar Pitch and Streatham North End.  There were two reasons: firstly, our squad was really too big for just one 5-a-side team and there were various mates hoping to join in the fun (Simon in particular was mad keen).  And secondly, the Elms League were struggling to find enough teams for the competition, so we 'helped out'.  Dividing the teams equally was tricky but we did OK: Dinamo started as Luke, Gza, Tom W, Chris, Simon, Paul (Luke and Gza's then housemate) and Lee (Ant joined them in Year 3).  Streatham were myself, Luis, Dave, Oscar, Andy, Ross (husband of another of my wife's colleagues) and the Gaffer, with John McDonnell joining during Year 2, I think to replace Ross.

There were simply too many 5-a-sides to sum up here, but obviously the derby games between DBP and SNE were tense, fraught affairs.  The first ever was won 1-0 by DBP thanks to a brilliant swerving strike from Tom.  I'd just been subbed off the pitch for SNE so I had a great view of that goal.

That's all for now - I might revisit this post in due course to add more meandering nonsense!  Feel free to add your own memories of Year 2 by clicking on 'comment'.

2 comments:

Andrew Dade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Dade said...

Nice work Stu - an enjoyable read.