Monday 22 June 2015

The season so far.....

Well unlike the tennis season, we move away from grass and on to the artificial surface for a couple of months. So I thought it seemed like a good time to jot down a few thoughts on the year so far.
After a good start culminating in us reaching the semi final of the MI cup, it seemed like the pinnacle of the year. In retrospect given our results since then it seems to have knocked the wind out of our sails because we have struggled with results in recent weeks.
It seems to me that we are in transition at the moment. I have been experimenting with different formations and using players in positions which they have either enjoyed as a new experience or have been reticent about trying.
I have done this to give the team options in preparation for when we have a reasonably stable team and also give me an idea of your best positions. 
I am determined to build a winning team that plays football with style and passion. We have definitely improved our play recently with some impressive performances and I'm sure the results will follow.
It can be difficult picking a team when there are variations in who is available so I would ask you particularly in preparation for when we return to the grass in September to use the time at Dulwich to hone your skills. I'm always looking at how you play and I believe that competition is good for a team so don't take it badly if I move you about or ask other players to play in your favoured position. It's just how we do things at the Accies.
However please trust me to manage this situation. I have been impressed with both our work rate and our play over the past three weeks so don't worry about the results. We just need to convert our chances and shore things up at the back particularly preventing silly mistakes that have cost us recently. If in doubt..........
Use the time on the astro to pass the ball on a true surface, sort out our first touch and work hard to win the ball back. This week we need to continue our pressing game whilst using the ball creatively to prize open their defence. We have a nice blend of youth and experience so let's learn from each other and play to our strengths. 

No comments: