Monday 8 June 2015

From the Accies archives

When Graham passed away I found myself looking through ancient Accies artifacts, and one that caught my eye for a future blog post was this section of the minutes from our first ever AGM, in January 2001.  It concerns possible selection for our second ever 11-a-side game, vs Woodley Wanderers (who are now called Dolphin Riders and still play every Thursday, on the atrosturf pitch next to our superior pitch!).

I really like the arrows… Intrigued by the decision to play Tom Wrigley up front; and the full backs Luis Sandoval and Chris Osborne is an interesting choice.  I suspect on the day Andrew Dade played right-back and Chris Osborne right wing, but I can't remember, of course.  And the prospect of me and Luke at centre back in 2001 is terrifying, although in 2015 I'd be more than happy with him looking after me there.  As for Graham on the left wing…

Anyone involved in team selection will not be surprised to learn that the above forecasted 12-man squad didn't exactly resemble the final squad on the day.  Mick Woolhouse, Luis Sandoval and Luke Fallon didn't attend - their places were taken by Simon Mesner, making his 11-a-side debut, and someone called Richard Macmillan, who my fading memory reckons was a work colleague of John McNally.  Ian Holmes scored both our goals.  Ask him about them, he'll probably be able to describe them in detail!

We lost the game 7-2, and there's a symmetry to that, given that we lost 7-2 on Saturday too.  Albeit in January 2001 a total of 10 club members (or nine plus soon-to-be member Simon) attended, whereas on Saturday only seven club members turned up…  But let's not get into THAT here…

No comments: