Saturday 7 November 2009

The Excel Spreadsheet Never Lies, as Bucks Fizz nearly said

My adventures in statto-land continue and this morning I finally concluded my work on the "all-time goalscorers" list - the table showing who has scored all of the 1,002 goals in Accies history.  Naturally, the infallible nature of Excel has shown up my old-school adding-up as being predictably inaccurate, in particular at the top of the table.  For reasons best known to the bit of my brain that once helped me scrape a grade C in O level maths, Oscar has scored 74 career Accies goals, not the 71 I'd previously thought.  I suspected 71 was wrong as I didn't think it included his 2 goals in the 11-a-side between AC Effra and Inter Effra, but even that only added up to 73, so where the 74th goal came from is anyone's guess at this stage.  I will launch a full investigation, but Excel formulas never lie, so there must be clear daylight between Oscar and Graham Dietz, the latter being most definitely on 71 goals!

Still awake?  Here's the Top 10 (not including OGs):
Jonathan Patterson 74
Graham Dietz 71
Joe Sene 64
Ian Holmes 61 (my old stats document gave him 62 - maybe I stole one of Oscar's goals and gave it to the Gaffer?)
Simon Mesner 58
David Rudd 57
Steve Spurdens 42
Kenny Butler 35
Gary White 31
Andrew Dade 31

Impressively it contains 5 fellas who still play regularly!  Further down the chart is Thorny on 27 goals, Elbows on 26 and RAUCHENBERG! on 13.  And now I really must go before my Board of Directors clocks me one...

5 comments:

elbows said...

Good work Stu. I did 'A' level maths statistics.....now hand over the appearance figures .

StuartD said...

Elbows... is it just the 11-a-side appearance stats you're after? Or everything ever?

elbows said...

Really just 11 a-side appearance stats - and you can miss off stats for people who have played fewer than 5 games if that makes it easier. Ta

werewolf said...

just read the scores come on accies - the good news my injury appears to be clearing up- beach training in the south pacific
werewolf

StuartD said...

Nice one Werewolf! Phil, am now making good progress on the appearances stats on my Excel doc... soon, very soon! I