Thursday 14 May 2009

Effra vs Dolphin: Live Text Update! Sort of!

10.05pm: We lost 0-8. Conceded the 8th right at the death. Gah. The Dolphin player who helped out was Mark Sidwell, but he told The Hut he doesn't want any publicity. Commiserations, fellas. The only way is up (again).

9.55pm: All is quiet from my pitchside contact The Hut, which either means we've stopped the rot or he's too busy sobbing uncontrollably on his knees to call me and tell me the further bad news. Jason Bourne is now in Madrid and I'm wishing Paddy Considine had just listened to Bourne's advice... ah well. Despite the 0-5 (I presume) scoreline, I still think the fortnight's training was valuable and rewarding - obviously it's a shame not to see immediate benefits, unless you count the goalless first 35 mins of this match. I can elaborate on some of our good play during that time: Joe was influential, Lee was playing well in goal again, Neil G's long throws were a threat, Simon had a good shout for a penalty, Mickael was playing well. Wish I was there...

9.35pm: At some point while I was upstairs attending to a very overtired son, we went 3-0 down and then 4-0 down and then 5-0 down. It is at this point that the guilt sets in that I'm not there to be of some use - Barry is off with cramp, Perre had to leave at half-time and we've had to borrow a Dolphin player, so The Wife's committee meeting(!) couldn't have happened on a worse night. Sorry lads.

9.20pm: Am distracted from The Bourne Ultimatum by Edward Christy Andrew Dade shouting "Daddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" from upstairs - this is my own fault for boasting to The Hut before that he went to sleep "like a dream" earlier on. Hmmmph. I've decided to view 0-2 at half-time with cautious optimism where Saturday is concerned - we can always blame the Astroturf surface... I'm ignoring the "Daddyyyyyyyyyyyy" calls, for now.

9.13pm: 0-2, so we're obviously having one of our bent and wobbly patches. Shame. With three 45-minute-long 11-a-side games to play on Saturday, not sure what to make of the fact that we're 2-0 down after 40 mins. Mind you, the back four is likely to be completely different on Saturday unless Neil G is playing (and who knows that?!)

9.10pm: The team, by the way, is: Lee, Werewolf, Gobby, Barry, Miami, Dangermouse, Rushy, Joe Le Taxi (old-school nickname, that one!), Elbows, Ladyboy, Mickael. Sub: Luis.

9.05pm: it's times like these when I wish I'd bothered to suss out wi-fi at home, then I could do this AND watch The Bourne Ultimatum DVD. Anyway, more importantly after a long chat with The Hut just now where he complimented our performance so far, we promptly went 1-0 down from a typical Dolphin long-ranger which went in off the post. 0-1 after 35 mins.

1 comment:

StuartD said...

Correction: apparently Barry's injury was hamstring, not cramp.