Friday 20 February 2009

Failures for 15 minutes

That's what Andy Warhol said, weren't it? No? Oh. Well, this blog might grind to a halt if we/I didn't bother posting because of Another Defeat, so in the spirit of typing for typing's sake (isn't that the basic purpose of all blogs, ever, on an internet?) I shall report on our 0-6 reverse at the hands of Atkins Rail.

The headline of this post refers to the hideous first-half spell during which we managed to ship 5 goals in 15 minutes. I found out after the game that I wasn't alone in thinking, at 0-5, that we could easily lose by a cricket score. Luckily we got our act together to some degree and, aside from a thunderous 6th goal after around 75 minutes, we at least competed, albeit with nothing to show for it in that old-fashioned yardstick of success on the footy pitch: the 'goals for' column.

The real match report was delivered by The Hut in the changing rooms post-match - while rightly awarding Shaky the Man Of The Match accolade, his summary featured the word 'depressing' more than once. And on that bombshell...

Team: Ant, Miami, Elbows, Hairy Cornflake (sub: TBALT), Marathon Man (sub: Dr Werewolf), Munky, Thorny, Spudgun, Dangermouse, Shaky, Tremayne (sub: Mickael)

Goodnight!

5 comments:

The Hut said...

I didn't realise I was so downbeat in the post match summary. I just wanted to keep it short. Btw I don't remember saying depressing. But I do remember saying dismal. Not sure that is any better though.

The Hut said...

Also I would like to add a few brighter notes that I should have said in the post match summary.

The change of formation with Mes in central midfield did stop the tide of opposition attacks. Praise to Mes for really putting in the hard work.

There was some good passing football in the middle third of the pitch link play involving e.g Perre, Billy and Tremaine.

Other notable performaces. Andy D's late first half and second half resurgence. Luke's determination and solidity at the back.

Let's be positive, tighten the key central areas of the pitch, and allow the players out wider to take the ball at their feet to the opposition danger areas.

StuartD said...

Good lad - roll on next week!

Andrew Dade said...

Cheers for the mention The Hut. I was appalled by my first 30 minutes or so. I guarantee I'll play next week how I played the remainder of last night's game - assuming I'm picked...

StuartD said...

As per my Comment to Simon's posting above, it's refreshing to see someone else "manning up" to having had a shocker for part of the game. Agree with The Hut that you played really well after that! Hopefully lots of other team members are prepared to be as honest about their own shortcomings.