Tuesday 24 February 2009

Balance and a call to arms

The tone of the blog is mostly positive and I agree with that.  However, after the first 15 minutes of last week's game, a bit of balance is required.

We were shocking and woefully inadequate.  It was like the last 6 or 7 years hadn't happened and we were back to a team just starting to play 11 a sides.  I thought days like the 1-9 v Dolphin and last week's game were confined to history.  

We were poor positionally and we carried probably 7 players in the first 20 minutes.  We were pulled apart by opposition players running in diagonals.  They are a decent team but they aren't that good.  We also conceded possession nearly every time we gained it.  They were first to every first and second and third ball.

Thank goodness we improved otherwise it would have been a record defeat.   The latter 75 minutes were a vast improvement and although they were still better, at least more of us competed and were prepared to do the hard work.

For the up coming games, I am issuing a call to arms.  There are several players not pulling their weight.  They are just doing what they want to do or not really doing anything at all.  I think that is insulting to all the other players on the pitch.  They are basically being carried by others.

There was a lot of big talk (and some divisive) at and since the AGM.  Well lets see everyone put their money where they mouths are.

I am aware that the club has semi Corinthian ideals and that for some running around for 90 minutes even if getting hammered is fine.  I don't feel like that and want to win.  To do that everyone needs to do their jobs, be brave and let their feet do the talking.

2 comments:

StuartD said...

I think it's fair enough to use the blog to 'vent', as it were. If anyone disagrees with any points raised, they are welcome to either Comment (as I am doing now) or even post their own views. I would say that there were times in last week's game where I felt like I wasn't pulling my weight - eg when noticing Phil sprinting across to mark 'my man' in vain, whereupon 'my man' scored a goal. And it happened more than once. The point I'm making is that we have to be big enough to admit when we've underperformed - both individually and as a team (win as a team, lose as a team). Meanwhile, I am extremely worried about divisions in the squad: LIFE IS TOO SHORT for childish nonsense and, while I'm not naive enough to expect everyone to be everyone's best friend, I do think that a level of unity and respect is essential.

Anonymous said...

There are those that agitate, there are those that respond to agitation and there are those that do neither. I feel that I am responding to agitation (a weakness in my make up, answering back). Life is also too short to be continually making up for others short comings in what ever situation. Eventually you get fed up. I'm at that point.