Friday 5 July 2013

A Postcard from Down Under

It’s a few years since I headed down south and hung up my laces with the Accies. Time flies by so quickly. I thought, since the Accies blog was looking a bit sparse in recent months, and that I had some time to hand, I’d write a few comments.

First, I’ve settled into my third season of a team in Brisbane. We are currently second in the Over-35s league with a swathe of new English talent in the side. Our progress is largely down to a new central defender (Spurs fan) and a new central midfielder (West Ham fan). We've lost only once this season, two draws, and 8 wins. It would be good to give the Accies a game – perhaps in Thailand??? Steve and Luis -- see you there! See also the team photo taken by a local journalist (note the loss of weight please).

Second, I’ll be heading back to London in the next few weeks and hoping to join you at the Dulwich ground in early August. Perhaps we will have time for a beer after – though I hear the Paxton has shut up shop.

Finally, a few myth-busting facts about Australia. One, its not ‘hot’ England – there’s no decent pubs though the beaches are great (if you like that kind of thing). Two, yes there seems to be deadly snakes, spiders and insects everywhere. Three, its not cheap living – in fact, its more expensive than London. And finally, you have to travel hours to get anywhere.

Looking forward to a warm beer with friends. 

See you soon. Wolfie.



3 comments:

StuartD said...

Brilliant to hear from you Werewolf!

Let us know exactly when you'll be swinging by a Dulwich match - post-match beers are a must, and even curry if you fancy it. There is a summer social on Thu 8 Aug so it would be a happy coincidence if you could come along to that!

StuartD said...

PS I'm not sure who I feel most sorry for: the fella with NO boots or the fella who's only allowed to wear ONE boot.

WereWolf said...

The fella with one boot is Scottish -- the other fella with no boots is Irish...

I'll amble down on Thu 1 Aug with my astros and defo up for beer/curry. I'll also try to come the following week for the social. Looking forward to it!