Thursday 22 July 2010

Resignation

It is with a certain amount of regret that I wish to stand down from my role as Coach with immediate effect. It is not a decision that I have made lightly, but I am certain that I can no longer continue in this capacity.
I made a pledge to be as fair, as consistent and as inclusive as possible in January of this year. I believe, truthfully, that I have managed to achieve this to the best of my ability. However, it seems my attempts have not reached the exacting standards expected by certain people, the same people who voted me in as Coach but yet have not given me their full, unequivocal support in recent times. I simply detest the notion that any one person is more important than the team, or that any one person is entitled to play over somebody else, or that any one person should expect to play their own game over what serves the team best, or that any one person should be able to undermine me as the elected Coach by the majority of the squad. After all, I was the only person who seriously wanted to be Coach for 2010, as I hoped, and believed, that I would be able to pull together the various factions within the squad and be able to promote a more positive and fairer attitude towards our Thursday night football.
Clearly, some people believe that they can do a better job, or perhaps be more inclusive, or more fairer than I have been for the past seven months. Well, now is their chance to prove it.
I hope to still be able to play in future for The Accies, but that will clearly be a decision for whoever takes on the mantle of Coach.
Joe

10 comments:

Bazza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bazza said...

Hi Joe i am very sad to see that you have decided to stand down as coach of the Accies i think that it is a big blow for the team as i have enjoyed my football this year despite all my personal problems and have looked forward to coming out and playing on a Thursday night. I can only hope that you will re-consider your decision and take up the mantle again.

A very sadden'd Bazza.

Bobby said...

Hi joe, I'm sorry to hear that too. I don't know the circumstances behind yr resignation, but for what it's worth, as someone who's missed quite a lot of games, I think you've handled the difficult squad situation really well.

Werewolf said...

Joe, this comes as a complete shock and I only hope you reconsider your decision. Like Barry says above [and I have no doubt many other players would feel the same] I've really enjoyed playing for the Accies this year with you as coach. I think you've done an excellent job and stuck to your principles.

--Werewolf

Bazza said...

I would just like to back up Wolfies coments i think Joe has dealt with all the hard problems thrown at him superbly well this year lets not forget the players voted in the squad rule and Joe was hugely against it but showed his true leadership qualities by taking on the squads wishes. Joe resigning is a huge huge loss to the team. Thanks for all the hard work Joe has been a true pleasure mate.

elbows said...

I'm really sorry you've had enough Joe. I hope you change your mind, although i do understand and respect your decision. For what it's worth i think you've done a great job so far this year.

StuartD said...

Joe, I can only add to the comments already made and say that I hope you will reconsider this decision and continue as coach. You have been doing a great job at what is an often thankless task and I would be truly astonished if anyone else could do anything like as good a job. If there's anything I as an individual or the squad as a whole can do to persuade you to stick at it, let us know.

Dhani-Perré said...

Your decision's a big loss, Joe. I, like a lot of others it seems, was happy with how you was running the team.

The amount of play time per player issue, I think you handled well. It isn't your fault, we clearly have too many players, I feel anyway. We don't seem to have a player limit. It feels like anyone who attends a 5/6 matches is offered to join. Everyone wants to play weekly for a decent amount of time. Our squad was about 18/19 maybe even 20-man STRONG at one point. We didn't need anymore players, we were doing well with what we had. We already had the issue of players and how many mins on pitch we all got, and knowing that, we invited more players to join. That's just asking for problems. I think we should have a limit on squad size. This issue, I think was dealt with well by Joe. We all decided on the 14/15-man squad but even with that,there is still the issue that everyone wants to play weekly. Maybe we need to address it again? Or at least make a decision on future additions to the squad.

Also, "Form, Commitment" and the other two. (So ashamed I can't remember them) the form factor in that, hands up to Joe, I believe he did stick to it, but because of the 14/15man agreement, people in form had to come off the pitch anyway. My example I'll use is Bobby; he was having an amazing game one week, and he did get a decent amount of time on pitch but because of the system, he had 2 come off. Which is fair enough,we all agreed, but I was on the bench so could see his frustration. It is hard to take being subbed when you honestly know you're playing well.

I've heard a couple players are leaving, I just hope our current squad is thought about before we increase it's size again.

Lastly, Joe, I'm on the band wagon too, please reconsider your decision.

Bazza said...

Well said dangermouse well said.

Sherbertdab said...

I think you have been an excellent coach. It is a shame for the Accies that you have chosen to step down.