Thursday 24 September 2009

Could someone please hurry up and invent a time machine, so we can go and play this fella's team? Part 2 (with explanatory notes)



There are plenty of pics of Accies personnel from a decade ago knocking about, but these pics take the biscuit, being no less than 31 years old.  The gentleman featured in each of the pics is Ian Dade, father of Accies numbers 3 and 11, back in his own illustrious playing days.  His side's catchy name is Nottinghamshire Scenes Of Crime team... Dade Sr was, when not dazzling on the footy field, in the police.  The man himself says these pics were taken "just before I was to leave to go back to Norfolk... they got one of their photographers to come along, specifically to get shots of me in my last game for them.  They later presented me with the pictures.  I honestly didn't know about it 'til then."

Sadly I have no recollection of witnessing Fatha in footy action, even though I was seven when these pics were taken and Andy was four.  But pleasingly Dad has seen the Accies in action on more than one occasion, even witnessing one of my ultra-rare 5-a-side goals back in the day.  Some of you will also recall his presence on the touchline for the thrashing of Dads Army on my birthday a couple of years ago.  So it seems only fair that I give these archive snaps an airing on this blog.

It won't surprise anyone who's seen me play to know that there are no pics of me playing football in the 70s or 80s – the first time I played competitive football was the first time the Accies played competitive football, 10 years ago!  But if any other squad members, past or present, have archive shots of themselves or other family members playing the Beautiful Game, let's get them on the blog!  Either email the pics to me or post them yourself – all you need to be able to post on the blog is an email invite from me, so ask and ye shall receive...

No comments: