Friday 21 August 2009

Honestly ref- it was never a penalty

Thursday 20th August Bar Pitch Accies v Fat Cats.

Time for honesty.

"It was never a penalty" - a cry heard many time from on an off the pitch, and this time, well from my view from the side of the pitch, I thought there was very little to shout about. I actually thought the ref had given us a free-kick.

This is all by the by, but at the time with the Accies 1-0 up and 2 minutes to play it is very hard to take as you feel you are denied a deserved victory by a dubious decision.

And I think the Accies were worth their one goal lead, courtesy of a great cross from Mesner to find Mickael at the back post to tap the ball home. The MOTM french striker deserved this for his tireless efforts chasing every ball as is his way, and in this occasion has not much more to to than put the ball in the back of the net.

Ok, more honesty. Even though I say great cross from Simon, and even told him so myself in the pub, the truth is, I have this all on hearsay; accurate descriptive hearsay I hasten to add from colleagues on the touchline who described the goal. The truth is at that moment I was in deep 'knee arthroscopy' conversation with Andrew who has his forthcoming cartilege op soon, and I was relaying my story to him as the asaid piece of quality play and goal happened.

It is strange sometimes being on the touchline (unable to take part in the game itself) and enjoy the touchline banter, game observations and general catch ups that take place. And I do think we (on the side) do try to encourage and play our part.

I did watch sufficient play to know that the defence was magnificent, led by Dave Rudd with an excellent goal line clearance - I can put down to his ability to read the game even in moments of desperate defending. Lee in goal while having little to do (honestly) had authority between the sticks. Luis played a great cameo down the left. And all in all (especially in the second half) the team gelled, and the spirit and belief grew. We could nick this, we could win.

Alas with one decision the result changed and victory denied, but it was good performance, and something for the Accies to build on next week. I think we are strongest in the autumn months, and expect more of the same commitment and honesty in the weeks to come.

I'll do by best to keep my eye on the ball next time.

Result Accies 1-1 Fat Cats.

1 comment:

StuartD said...

Oppo gaffer says: "That match report is more inaccurate than my finishing last night!" Quality.