Sunday 7 December 2008

New era or another false dawn?

Welcome to the Effra Academicals blog, which I am hoping will become a busy centre for the Accies on the web. Will it be busy or will it be moribund? I am optimistic for the former, but history suggests the latter. Here's a history of the Accies on t'internet:

1. John McNally creates the first ever Accies website, featuring photos, match reports and such like. It disappears due to time constraints.
2. Stuart Dade, that's me, creates an Accies section on intheteam.com, featuring fixtures, results and other gubbins. Sadly I dropped the ball quite spectactularly when intheteam switched from being a free service to a fee-paying one, and all the info I put up was lost for ever... Ouch.
3. Gary Hutson creates http://www.theaccies.net/, still active but not, frankly, as active as anyone would like, due to a combination of time constraints and lack of contributions from club members. Still worth a look though, lots of great stuff there, and hopefully more activity in the future.
4. I create The Effra Academicals Facebook Fan Club, which started brightly and attracted members from within the club and among our Barmy Army, but is now little more than a place for (admittedly excellent) Accies-related photos and videos to live. Try this link to view/join the group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=4789069370
5. This blog.

So, why might this blog succeed in becoming a busy Accies e-venue where 1-4 arguably did not succeed? Well, I think that the major plus point of a blog versus, say, http://www.theaccies.net/ is that other club members will be able to add content to this blog with ease. Whether it be photos from events such as our annual awards night last week, or video footage courtesy of Elbows Caldwell, or tactical musings from Coach Mesner, or even, dare I say it, match reports - blogs are, because of the diary format, incredibly user-friendly and don't rely on one administrator to do all the work.

So, in essence, this blog will succeed if myself and my fellow Accies make it work.

Now it's over to you (and me). Several fellow Accies will receive an email invitation shortly to contribute to this blog, after which I'm hoping photos, videos, diary entries and so on will spring up pleasingly frequently. If you are an Accie, past or present, and you would like to contribute, let me know and I will happily invite you. The more the merrier!

If you want to follow this blog but not contribute, become a Follower.

Here's hoping...

5 comments:

The Hut said...

Fantastic! Hopefully we can get the match reports and videos all in one place, and up within a few hours/days of a Thursday game.

Recommendation - keep the reports short - key moments - and I think there'll be more chance of people writing them. Of course anyone can write them!

As for the site www.theaccies.net, can we discuss that at the AGM? I was going to raise the debate anyway ie. do we want theaccies.net at all?

I can always save the existing content on there, before it is due to expire (I think it is summer 2009 sometime).

Anyway, long live The Accies Blog - this is much easier - Cheers Stu.

StuartD said...

Yes, we can discuss theaccies.net at the AGM - if nothing else I think we should keep the domain name, depending on how much it costs to do so.

The Hut said...

Of course, if we keep the domain, we can make a "re-direct" where it points to this blog site.

Andrew Dade said...

To be honest I really like theaccies.net site but I guess it's pointless keeping it going if there's never any new content. As long as we never lose any of the content/info on theaccies.net then why not re-direct to this?

Anonymous said...

memphis overly placing bundles nasaas austrade yale legitimate editor covalent shubhi
lolikneri havaqatsu